The first post office was established on April 9, 1868, with James Giddings as the postmaster. The mail was received from a route out of the Mora Post Office.
When the postmaster vacated the position on October 22, 1869, another postmaster was not appointed and the office was closed.
The residents received their mail at the Mora Post Office until Joseph Holman was appointed postmaster and reopened the office on August 7. 1884.
This time the service continued until July 27, 1892, when the office was again discontinued and, again, the residents had to pick their mail up in Mora.
The community, however, did not remain without mail service. The Holman Post Office was established in 1894 and named after the Holman family.
|James M. Giddings||April 9, 1868|
|Discontinued - October 22, 1869|
|Joseph S. Holman||August 7, 1884|
See also History of the Post Office at Holman, New Mexico
Copyright 1998 James W. White, Farmington, NM
Return to Mora Valley Postal Index.