CLEVELAND

This small ranching community, located about two miles northwest of Mora and twenty eight miles north of Las Vegas, was first settled in 1816, abandoned in 1833 and resettled in 1835. The settlement was known first as San Antonio lo de Mora.

When Postmaster Simon Vorenburg opened the post office on August 11, 1892, the name was changed to honor President Grover Cleveland. Simon received the mail from a route out of the Watrous Post Office on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. When the Holman and Chacon Post Offices were opened in 1894, a Star Route was established out of the Cleveland Post Office to carry their mail.

Daniel Cassidy was the second postmaster to serve the Cleveland community. He began his appointment on December 13, 1897, and served for sixteen years.

Rose Cassidy, Daniel's wife, took over the office when he vacated the position on November 7, 1913. Shortly after Rose took office, the route to Watrous was abolished and a new route was established out of the Las Vegas Post Office. Rose, after serving the community of 846 residents, for almost thirty one years, decided to retire.

Cassidy Store

For many years the post office was located in the Cassidy Store which is now under restoration to be opened as a museum.

On June 30, 1944, Constancia Trujillo was selected to be the acting postmaster. She moved the post office operations into a 440 square foot facility adjacent to her home on Highway 518. Constancia was appointed to be the fourth postmaster on January 25, 1945. After completing twenty seven years in the office, Constancia retired on June 30, 1972. She was replaced by Officer-in-Charge (OIC) Jose "Joe" Trujillo.

Joe was selected to be the fifth postmaster on September 16, 1972. Joe moved the postal operations, in September of 1972, to a new location on Highway 518 (two and a half miles west of Highway 434). The leased facility, which was in one side of a duplex apartment type complex, provided 440 square feet of floor space. Joe provided postal service to Cleveland for twenty years and retired on October 1, 1992. He turned the office over to OIC Dorothy Lujan.

Dorothy Vigil was selected to be the sixth postmaster and was awarded the position on March 20, 1993.

Marian Olivas was detailed as Officer-in-Charge (OIC) of the Cleveland Post Office when Dorothy Vigil vacated the postmaster position on September 18, 1993. Marian was appointed postmaster on April 2, 1994. The revenue for the office increased from $6,582.31 in 1990 to $15,806.19 in 1995. This is a substantial increase of 240% for the five year period. Postage rates only increased 28% during that time period. On April 2, 1996, Marian was detailed to another assignment at the Albuquerque District offices and turned the office over to OIC Olivama Gutierrez. Marian completed the detail and returned to the postmaster position on May 24, 1996. Marian moved the postal operations into a 915 square foot modular facility on September 30, 1996. The new building was approved in early 1995 and delivered to the new site on April 23, 1996.

Cleveland Post Office
The present post office
Postmaster   Appointment Date
----------------------   ------------------
Simon Vorenburg --- August 11, 1892
Daniel Cassidy --- December 13, 1897
Rose C. Cassidy --- November 7, 1913
Constancia B. Trujillo --- July 1, 1944
Jose H. Trujillo --- June 30, 1972
Dorothy M. Lujan (OIC) --- October 1, 1992
Dorothy M. Vigil --- March 20, 1993
Marian B. Olivas --- April 2, 1994

Return to Mora Valley Postal Index.